Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 3

Well hello to you all! What a great day I had! It was my first day at work on this program and it went very smooth! Ha ha ha, that beginning sounds very Dr. Suess ( I just got done reading it to my kids!) I digress, I thought it was going to be a HUGE challenge, and it wasn't. Two tips I have the attributed to my success today: The first and the most helpful was that I pre-planned my ENTIRE days worth of food. I put it in baggies calculated all of the calories and put it in my food journal, put the food all in one bag and then was able to get to it through out the day at my designated mini meals. Second I told everyone about this journey! It helped so much that everyone knew because in the staff room was a GINORMOUS cake!! Since everyone knew there wasn't even a moment that I thought about getting a piece. I am really starting to get used to this process and today I even felt full at dinner.

Tonight we had another new recipe for dinner, it was DELISH. Turkey Meatloaf, ok so one of my kiddos liked it and the picky one, well he was picky! But the meatloaf really was good! It was made with ground turkey, eggs, panko, garlic and sea salt and pepper you could opt to top it with a red pepper and tomato chutney( I would LOVE) or you could go the kid friendly route and sprinkle the top with 1/4 Cup of Cheddar Cheese, which is what we had. For 1/8th of the loaf it was only 360 calories and I paired it with a roasted red pepper and Tomato soup from Trader Joes, for 100 calories total meal 460 calories!!!! YAY!!

I am really jazzed about all of the changes I am feeling physically and I can't understand why I didn't do this sooner? Maybe it wouldn't have really worked before now, maybe I just didn't think I could do it! I know can do this!

I am a little nervous about Friday, we are going out with some friends. I had thought about eating out with them but instead I think I will eat before and just have water or ice tea at the resturant. I just don't trust myself.....yet. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Great job on Day 1 at work! Support can get you a long ways, especially when you're already motivated! The dinner sounds delish too! I was just telling my brother how I miss meatloaf. :)

    As for Friday, I suppose it depends on where you're going. Lots of restaurants have a healthy appetizer or a side salad will give you something to "eat" for that fixation of putting something in your mouth.

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhh great idea for the restaurant!! I just get a little freaked out about not knowing what is in the cooked food and how they prepare it. As for the meatloaf that cookbook is a MUST, I have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am betting you will be fine if you decide you are able to eat out there considering your friend will be pushing you to be good. I know anyone who loves you will support you and won't even think twice about when you say you are done. However, you are new to this and if you don't trust yourself being able to stop then eat before and enjoy the company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, for Friday: order a brothy kindof soup. Soups fill you up! Soup and salad, even, would be perfect!! Soup. Salad. Water or Tea. Perfect!! Probably all under 200 Calories, even. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At the restaurant, I'd do a simple large salad with oil and vinegar (or lemon) on the side. That way you have something to eat while others are eating, (-so you don't feel deprived...and possibly 'act out' (read: pig out!) about that at a later time...) plus, lettuce and raw veggies fill you up and give you that all important soluble fiber! You CAN go out with friends and not feel like the odd woman out! You are doing great!

    Also, in turkey meatloaf, I use salsa to make it moist! It totally is a flavor bomb! (also, if you want to try something different, instead of breadcrumbs, I use dry 'quick' oatmeal- about 1/4-1/2 cup- which I then mix with the salsa and let sit before I add it to the white meat turkey, and spices. It helps keep the white meat moist, and gives the already mentioned flavor wallop! We use all different types of salsa, depending on who is eating it. (some people don't like any spiciness...)The only thing you have to be careful about is how much salt there is in the salsa. Some of them are crazy high.
    But good work! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, yeah, I add an egg to the meatloaf, too!

    And we serve it with: steamed kale or turnip greens, and boiled regular potatoes. (or a baked sweet potato!) I could eat steamed greens from now til doomsday. I sprinkle a little Umeboshi Plum Vinegar (has a salty/tart flavor), or lemon and a little Kosher salt (less salty than other salts) on top of my veggies. So yummy. I like them better than spinach, which makes my teeth feel funny.

    ReplyDelete